Financial Education Partners Network (FEPN) Meeting & Workshop
Date: Wednesday, November 4, 2015 (first Wednesday of every month)
Time: 1:35 p.m. – 3:35 p.m.
Location: YWCA at Greenbridge, 9720 8th Ave SW, Seattle
Workshop: CFPB Veteran Support Resources
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), offers assistance for veterans who are facing financial and legal challenges. Through the Office of Service Member Affairs (OSA) at the CFPB, financial challenges affecting service members, veterans and their families have been resolved with incredible statistics. This is done through financial education, monitoring of complaints submitted by consumers, and coordinating with other Federal and State agencies on military consumer protection measures.
Charles H. Woods, Jr. a local CFPB Coach and workshop facilitator will focus on common questions regarding financial and legal challenges that our veterans encounter. Remember, what we don’t know and ultimately do not convey, can hurt.
Workshop attendees will learn the following:
- How does the CFPB handle complaints?
- What is the CFPB complaint resolution success rate?
- What is the Military Lending Act?
- Can a debt collector garnish a veterans federal benefits?
- What is a pension advance?
- What is the Service member Civil Relief Act?
- What is an active duty alert?
- What is the Fair Credit Reporting Act?
FEPN Chairs: Amy Samudre, Global to Local, Lydia Assefa-Dawson, King County Housing Authority and Sameth Mell, Mt Baker Housing