Constructive community service is a founding VFW tenet with volunteerism benefiting education, the environment, health sciences and civic projects.
The VFW has a rich tradition associated with community service, working closely with other national organizations such as Boy Scouts of America, America Supports You and America’s Promise-The Alliance for Youth. The VFW also partners with the National Rifle Association, U.S. Chamber of Commerce, International Association of Firefighters and the Salvation Army.
Another VFW partner is the USO, which gives VFW members additional opportunities to volunteer in their communities and give back to our troops and their families.
Each year VFW and Ladies Auxiliary members donate:
- More than 11 million volunteer hours to community service projects and local VA medical facilities.
- Nearly, $52 million to various community endeavors.
Each year the VFW also nominates one of its members, or Auxiliary member, for the Humanitarian of the Year Award.
Suggested criteria for nominee: (Due 4/15/13)
- Recognized for a positive impact on the welfare of homeless or needy Veterans and/or their families.
- Contribution to thr humanitarian efforts by direct involvement serving the needs of humankind.
- Service can be done through an individual’a focus on event’s, eduction, and volunteer efforts.
- Significant contributions benefiting homeless or needy Veterans and/or their families.
Post 2713 frequently visits the Seattle VA Hospital for Bingo nights. The post also participates in the annual West Seattle Grand Parade.
Interested in teaming up with the VFW to give back to your community? Please contact your local VFW Post.