Seattle City Light will hold two events in May to commemorate Memorial Day. These events are sponsored by the utility’s Race and Social Justice Initiative (RSJI) Change Team. The Change Team engages employees learning opportunities that promote racial equality. The Memorial Day events are designed to educate and increase understanding of the intersection of RSJI and veterans’ experiences. The events will be held at the utilities North and South Service Centers.
Logistics: May 22, 2013, 8:00 – 9:30 a.m., NSC Auditorium, 1300 N 97th St, Seattle, WA 98103
May 23, 2013, 8:00 – 9:30 a.m., SSC Multi-purpose Room, 3613 4th Ave S, Seattle, WA 98134
- Increase understanding of the intersection of RSJI and veterans’ experiences
- Honor Veterans who gave their lives in service and those who are deceased
- Conduct a flag dedication ceremony (presentation of U.S. flags flown in Afghanistan)
- Opening Remarks from Executive
- Recognition of Veterans present at the event
- Flag ceremony by Color Guard (please note that a flag that was flown in Afghanistan has been donated by the military for the event)
- Sharing of Poem for Memorial Day
Speaker: Jack Hamann, author of “On American Soil”, a book about a real-life event in Seattle’s military history that put a spotlight on racism in the military, and ultimately exonerated African-American soldiers wrongfully court-martialed for the murder of an WWII Italian POW at Ft. Lawton (now Discovery Park).